Going out in Brugge
We firmly believe in looking after you, both during our tour together & beyond.
With that: some suggestions for getting the best out of your time in Brugge, from food & drink to shopping or otherwise.
(click the business name for their website)
Breakfast in Brugge
Start the day right, camera batteries aren't the only thing to charge up...
Lunch in Brugge
Some great spots to charge tummy, all close to the end of our Edges of Brugge tour.
- Tatties – Cozy & friendly spot, wide choice of sandwiches & drinks, soups & paninis.
- Blackbird – Top class cafe lunches, also excellent for breakfast tapas.
- Cafe Vlissinghe – Oldest cafe in Brugge with a suberbly solid “pub menu” to fill up on.
Lovingly Local (Dinner 1)
Spots for a full meal that are nice on the budget and truly local in quality and experience.
- Cambrinus – Top local food, big and tasty portions with many (many) beers, very central.
- Stokershuis - The one man classic cafe of Hans, whistling while he works and best spaghetti in town.
- L’Estaminet - Central cafe with great menu and even better beer on tap.
- Lion Belge – Local cuisine near-ish to the windmills, great portions & extensive wine list.
- De Bottelier - Cozy husband& wife with charming antique decor, classy and delicious menu!
- ‘t Goulden Vlies – eccentric decor & delicious meals. Good set menu, choice of meat or fish.
- Ribs & Beer – All-you-can-eat ribs, must try the chef’s sauce & fine grilled fish dishes. Reserve ahead!
Finest of Fine Dining (Dinner 2)
The very cream of the crop for fine dining in Brugge.
- Park Restaurant – Top rated and well deserved. French cuisine & superb hosts, great set menu.
- BRUUT – Popular spot for a culinary experience. Original and full eco. Reserve!
- Guillaume – Cozy romantic corner with gourmet French, central location & very well regarded.
- Rock Fort – Where the cool cuisine kids are, with very good reason. Nice bar!
- Pepermolen – Small & creative seasonal menu. Market menu is good value.
- Le Chef et Moi – Classy place with small affordable menu. Local and international dishes.
Coffee & Tea
Into your instant coffee? Too bad, you're now in Belgium...
- Koffie Brazilia – Nearest to the tour meeting point, delicious brews & wide tea selection.
- Li-O-Lait – Homey cafe with fantastic ambiance & tasty bagels. Near t’zand & main shop street.
- Gingerbread – Popular breakfast/bagel spot, wide variety coffee/tea/hot chocolate. Great specials.
- Hemelse Taartjes – The spot for coffee & cupcakes, coffee comes with cookies & chocolates.
- Marie’s House: – Coffee/tea house, fine small snacks & baked goodies. Indoors or garden: Cozy!
Apparently, Belgian beer is worth a try...
- Cafe Vlissinghe – Oldest cafe in town, classic atmosphere & surroundings. Great house beer.
- Brugs Beertje – Vintage beer house with over 300(!) beers available, menu as thick as a phone book.
- Rose Red – Deviously romantic Trappist beer house, 200 beers & staff knowledge to help you choose.
- Joey’s Cafe – Classiest jazz cafe in town, also where I had my 1st date with the future Mrs Andy.
- Hof Van Beroep – Awesome night spot that switches between mellow & crazy. A local open to all.
Superb Beer-Related Attractions
Drink it all in, not just with your taste buds...
- Bruges Beer Museum – Very central with a great Augmented Reality visual history of beer with a delightful cafe.
- De Halve Maan – Recommended brewery tour (beer included!) and great local menu in the restaurant.
- Bourgogne des Flanders – World famous beer brewed right in front of you, great tour and cafe (with terrace on canal)
Snacks & Tasty Things
If you’re into your snacks and light meals, you will definitely not be left wanting in Brugge.
As tasty as Brugge is beautiful...
- Chocolate Line - World famous (Michelin star) chocolatier Dominique Persoone will make you wonder where he's been all your life.
- Chocolatierie De Burg - Marlene is on a touristy spot (Burg) but far from only for tourists. 3 qualities to choose & free samples.
- Dumon - Legendary chocolate brand with stores throughout Belgium, but Brugge (of course) has the cutest one!
Stop waffling around and try a famous Belgian treat...
- Waffles by John - John and his van on Burg Square is superb and varied, super central.
- Lizzie’s Waffles - Fluffy and sizeable waffles in a sweet and cozy spot.
- You're in Belgium... can't really go wrong here. 😉
Belgian (not French) Fries
Yes, we invented them...
- Chez Vincent - My fave for fries and Belgian burgers, owner has character to remember.
- Green Stalls on Markt - Those green outdoor fry stands on Markt are worthy, slightly pricier for location.
- You're in Belgium... can't really go wrong here. 😉
The bread and pasties here are a lesser-known Belgian delight and simply superb.
- St Paulus - Personal fave for all things baked like bread, slightly expensive but worth every penny.
- Patisserie Schaeverbeke - Just off Astrid Park, perfect (and delicious) spot for a snack in the park.
Camera Gear & Tech Shops
- Foto Coudenys – Proper pro shop & family owned, your best option for high end gear & accessories (and service with knowledge).
- Media Markt – Better prices than FNAC but less central (10 min drive), more extensive choice & nearby supermarkets.
- Kamera Express – My default spot for speedy shipping (next day if ordered by midnight). Recommended if needed urgently.
- FNAC – Multimedia shop on main Market Square, carries most all basics/popular options for camera and tech gear.
- De Brocante - Awesome antiques and funky 2nd hand goods, lovely cafe and superb staff!
- Think Twice – Vintage and funk-tastic threads aplenty, very central and while you’re there pop in next door to LeeLoo for a look.
- Sue Ryder: Great for all all sorts from stuff to clothes. Look for 2 shops, one is clothes and the other is “the rest”.
- LeeLoo – Two fine fellas who have supplied Brugge with funky fashion for well over a decade, still on top of it so the future will never feel far. Or funkier.
- J& M Pollentier-Marechal – Specialized in antique and contemporary photography and paintings of Brugge.
- Depot D’o – Very eclectic & sublime collection of antiques and collectibles, local to global and everchanging.
Other Brugge Tours
It's an under-spoken fact: We have some AMAZING tour experiences here that only add to the beauty of Brugge...
- Quasimundo Bike Tours - Lively and informative bike tours of Brugge and nearby Damme, available for group and private tours.
- Horse Carriages - Healthy and happy horses on offer for a fairy tale tour of a fairy tale city. Daily from Markt & Wijnaardplien.
- Quasimodo - Specialising in Flanders Field battlefields tours but also beyond, Sharon & Philippe are simply the best!
- Segway Brugge - Always wanted to discover a city on a Segway? This is the tour to take, top info and great guides.
- Ambassadors Free Tours - Fun & informative free tour, look for the yellow umbrella on Markt.
If you’re like me on shopping for souvenirs to remember somewhere, you’re probably very interested in what supermarkets can offer for treats to take home.
Proper Belgian Beer
5 brands that are guaranteed to be in a supermarket and will blow you away: Sint Bernardus, Rochefort, Grimbergen, Verboden Vrucht, Chimay.
More on beer? See the drink recommendations.
Chocolate (pre packed)
Cote D’or & Galler are easiest to find & trusted as delicious. Jacques or Guylaim are trusted backups.
Waffles (pre packed)
Lotus is a popular brand for good reason, look out for either the plain or chocolate coated options.
Belgian cookies are one of the little secret treats of this land, and only logical after you look the chocolate & waffle situation.
De Stroopere is my fave, then Lotus & Delacre are the tastiest of the tasty.